Joint Organisations Data Initiative (JODI) Energy Data Transparency Workshop Sustainable Future will be held on 30 April-3 May 2019 in Cape Town, South Africa.
The aim of this four-day workshop is to provide energy experts and statisticians in Africa comprehensive picture of energy data compilation activities necessary to ensure sustainable energy for all. Technical linkage between annual and monthly data collections should be explained alongside differences in benefit and focuses of these two energy data collection activities from policy making standing point. With such objective in mind, the four-day workshop will feature the JODI (Oil and Gas) monthly data collection, annual energy statistics and balances compilation as well as principles of energy efficiency indicators. Energy data transparency in Africa will provide improved understanding of their energy system, challenges and opportunities to enable better policy and investment decision making.
In addition, this JODI Energy Statistics Training Workshop will take place at the same time as the 4th IEF-OFID Symposium of Energy Poverty that we hold at the same venue, thus linking the need of energy data to decision making and alleviating energy poverty from Africa.
The Workshop is designed for 30 to 40 participants, who oversee energy data collection at national administrations and who participate in JODI through completion of the monthly JODI-Oil and JODI-Gas and other annual energy data Questionnaires.
The workshop will cover the following topics:
- The background, objectives, and status of JODI;
- Impact of reliable data to policy and investment decision-making from data-user perspective;
- Definitions and methodologies to complete the JODI (Oil and Gas) questionnaires;
- Exchanges of good practices to collect/compile energy data among countries and participants;
- Data quality assessment techniques and practical exercises to complete JODI (Oil and Gas) questionnaires as well as annual questionnaires;
- Role of effective data dissemination to improve data visibility with practical examples through JODI website;
- Linkage between monthly and annual energy data collection activities and their different policy objectives;
- Annual energy statistics and balances compilation;
- Principles of energy efficiency indicators.